Tune My Heart to Sing Thy Praise

Life as a music educator and the wife of a church musician.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Join the Club?

Since Nick started at his new church, I have been thinking about church membership.  In the Lutheran church, at least, it seems like a big deal to become a member.  When I decide to become a member of a new congregation, I have to contact my old church home in order to Transfer My Membership.  I wonder if there is paperwork to sign.  I don't know, because I've never had to do it.

In the last two years, I have been a part of two congregations.  Although I enjoyed attending both, and am grateful for the relationships I made at each, I wouldn't have chosen either as a church home for myself.  I was only there was because my husband was a part of the ministry, and I want to serve God beside my husband.

This time it's a little different.  This congregation is a perfect fit for me.  And yet, I am reluctant to pull the trigger on Transferring My Membership.  What if things don't work out?  I don't want to become a member and then have to leave again in a year!

If I sing in the choir, serve for communion and as assisting minister, play handbells, attend worship and bible study regularly, volunteer for the church's after school ministry and in the kitchen- am I not committing myself to the life and service of the congregation?  Would my ministry be less meaningful because I am not a card-carrying Member of the church?

Some people become members of a church without thinking about what it means.  This decision is going to be intentional, made after careful thought and prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home