Tune My Heart to Sing Thy Praise

Life as a music educator and the wife of a church musician.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Unemployent Rut

I've been unemployed for about 3 months now, but being an educator, it's felt more like an extended summer vacation.  Now that I've seen school buses on the roads and read Facebook statuses about going back to school, it's starting to sink in.  I'm reminded, as I apply for countless jobs and and go to very few interviews, that the competition is tough.  And with each rejection, I become more discouraged. 

My professional life has become the gauge for my self-worth. 

When did that happen?!  I've only been a professional for 3 years of my 25-year existence!  How did I define my own worth before?  Was it being a student at St. Olaf?  Singing in the choir?  Being a model student in high school?  Being friends with the right people?

Last night I was reminded of where my true worth lies.  The best news I've had in a long time.

In the mean time, while I keep looking for a job, I'm trying to fill my time with meaningful activities: assisting minister, leading music in worship, directing the confirmation choir, and teaching 4th grade bible study class at church.

What other things do you do when you're in the Unemployment Rut?

1 Comments:

  • At September 1, 2011 at 8:57 AM , Blogger k said...

    volunteer, read books, explore your new community, go on walks, practicing voice, refining your curriculum materials, tweak your resume, exercise, cook, learn a language, write letters, start a new hobby like knitting or sewing or something...i could go on... - kate

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home